Sunday, August 3, 2014

Boa noite gente!
My post is a little tardy, so sorry about that-- lost wifi this weekend in my pousada and spent a lot of time in the waiting rooms. These past few weeks have proved to be quite interesting for me! A lot of ups and downs... oh the frustrations have been plenty. First, I've been able to find a church home here which is great: it's a new church plant, and the pastor is actually from the United States. To my surprise, I had actually met his family at the movie theater my first week here and had no idea they had ties to the church. While that's been great, it adds many more great people to a list I don't want to say goodbye to... or even "see you later." Many of the friends I've made here have either returned home or are traveling and won't return until after I've left this Saturday--frustrating for me because I'm currently "immobilized" and can't take advantage of all the final hangouts... but more on that in a bit.

This is the view from in the city where I went rafting! It was my first time back on the continent (I live on an Island) since flying through Sao Paulo to arrive...Santo Amaro da Imperatriz was so beautiful! I could stay there forever.
 This is my friend Camille! She just recently returned back to Canada and has been a great friend to me here in Lagoa. I look forward to seeing her again :)
This is a view from a trail in Lagoinha do Leste... a BEAUTIFUL, secluded beach you must hike to. But let me tell you that this is where my troubles began :o 
I had a bit of a fall... with a nice, loud, POP.

 My first experience with a cast! Luckily nothing was broken, but my ligaments sure didn't appreciate the fall -.-The worst sprain I've ever gotten! However, I feel really honored that I could experience the Brazilian public healthcare system from the inside. What a different feeling it is walking out of an emergency room knowing there won't be a bill for thousands of dollars coming your way. While my exam was not the most thorough, I know I am extremely blessed to have received decent care while abroad.

I would like to also point out that both the technician and I were laughing... he was laughing at my laughter, and I was laughing (in the nervous kind of way) because my pants were destroyed in the process.

The final product..note the cut pant leg flapping in the wind.

I had this for a week, and man was it hard. This really made me think about patience differently-- it's one thing to be "patient" about something you don't care much about (like I'm not in a rush, but boy am I patient about waiting for my latte to be made), and another thing to deal with losing something really important to you (a functioning limb, mobility, self-reliance, dancing, meeting up with other people, etc). The first two days I was without crutches (not available in the hospital apparently) and those were the hardest. I couldn't leave my home and even getting to the kitchen for water to take medicine was stressful... lots of jumping.
 Since then (two weeks ago) I've moved into this removable boot. It's interesting to get adjusted to, but I am very thankful I don't have to use crutches anymore, that I can shower without it (before I had to wrap my foot in plastic bags while sticking it out of the door and balancing on the other leg), and that I can put pressure on it!

 Other than this ankle experience, I'm still loving Brazil! Still trying to come to terms with the fact that my time here is almost up. My program mentor is on the left, and his wife on the right-- we had a great lunch! (The boot was my best accessory).
 Oh Brazil, God-willing, I will be coming back for you. (hopefully able-bodied and ready to dance! Lots of time to make up for!)

No comments:

Post a Comment